Job Requisition ID: 10722
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is a global learning company with the mission of changing people's lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. Among the world's largest providers of pre-K-12 education solutions, HMH combines cutting-edge research, editorial excellence and technological innovation to improve teaching and learning environments and solve complex literacy and education challenges. HMH's interactive, results-driven education solutions are utilized by 50 million students in over 150 countries, and its renowned and awarded novels, non-fiction, children's books and reference works are enjoyed by readers throughout the world. For more information, visit (link removed).
The Information Technology organization is transforming to realize our mission: Become a leader in HMHs digital transformation, and as a strategic partner, innovate and deliver highest value,competitive advantage solutions across all corporate and business functions. Our ambition is to be a digital leader through innovation and develop and deliver leading edge technology such as robotic process automation and artificial intelligence to solve some of HMHs greatest operational business challenges. Our professionals will have business relevant skills to connect our HMH partners to technologies that propel the businesses to deliver the greatest value for HMH and our customers. We are building a team of IT professionals with an insatiable appetite to learn, a relentless focus on customer service, a technological curiosity toward future possibilities, and a creativity in solving business challenges with leading technologies. Our team will find ways to work together, create a sense of community where its safe to take risks and learn together, develop our careers, and all have an opportunity to work on new technologies. We will work together, learn together and have fun together. As a team, we will lead HMHs digital transformation.
The Opportunity IT SVP, Finance, HR & Legal
The SVP of IT Finance, HR & Legal is a key position reporting directly to the SVP & Chief Information Officer. HMH IT is evolving its organization, and this new position will have responsibility for developing and driving the IT strategy for the Finance, HR and Legal business functions and the Trade and Heinemann business lines. This SVP will partner closely with the business leaders to create the strategy and roadmap to support the business and to help drive growth. This position will be located in Boston, MA and may require 25-50% travel to domestic business partner locations.
Duties & Responsibilities
The SVP of Finance, HR & Legal will partner with the business functions to define the strategic roadmap of Finance, HR & Legal and the Trade & Heinemann business lines. Key objectives for the role include deep understanding of the business functions and the business lines, collaboration with the business leaders to create the components of the strategic roadmap including thought leadership and strategic execution of major components of the business strategies. This will require partnering across the business, technology stakeholders as well as strategic partners.
- Serve as a key advisor to the SVP, Chief Information Officer in defining and directing the strategy, key priorities and decisions for the Finance, HR, Legal functions and Trade & Heinemann business lines of HMH.
- Own and execute all aspects of the IT roadmap for these key business functions, continuously aligning strategies and initiatives with broader global technology & operations functions and lines of business.
- Prepare strategic presentations for HMHs senior stakeholder groups including the HMH CEO and Executive Leadership Team
- Develop and monitor key performance metrics (KPI) partnering with IT leaders to ensure management reporting and operational reviews focus on results and actions against KPI.
- Lead and work in cross-functional teams to evaluate, provide insight and drive strategic outcomes that have the greatest impact on the Company. Enable the transfer of strategic ideas into operational decisions.
- Drive active business engagement in developing strategies for advancing how the Finance, HR and Legal functions and support the HMH core businesses.
- Drive active business engagement in developing strategies on how best to advance the Trade & Heinemann business lines.
Skills & Experience
This person is a self-motivated individual with proven IT operational experience and excellent team management and organizational skills who possesses:
- 15 +/- years of experience in an executive leadership capacity focusing on driving technology solutions for business needs
- 10+/- years of experience working in or supporting the Finance and HR business functions.
- Proven success working in an innovative environment and in the development of digital products and services
- Experience working in a complex global organization with proven effectiveness operating in a global company spanning multiple business units
- Proven ability to translate broad corporate next generation strategies into clear, specific business deliverables and solutions
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize the evolving future of an industry, and to develop
- insights into consumer trends and disruptive technology, using data and evidence to define impact on businesses and/or a relevant sector
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written, appropriate for all levels of organization
- Collaboration and partnership skills with business and IT partners to drive development of the technology roadmap, prioritization of application enhancements, and the ability to drive change
- Strong relationship management skills including set expectations setting and follow through on measurements of success
- Thinks Strategically Sets direction aligned to the HMH corporate strategy, applying external and global perspective to meet local and global needs
- Creates Partnerships Authentically builds trusted relationships and collaborates across global, diverse and multi-functional teams to successfully drive business objectives
- Seizes Opportunity Seeks new opportunities and ways to create balanced business growth while improving operational capabilities
- Focuses on Customers Promotes customer centricity and ensures focus on creating great customer experiences to achieve competitive advantage
- Drives Results Sets aggressive goals and is accountable for continuously driving improved performance, leading change and ensuring high standards
- Might be in a stationary position for a considerable time(sitting and/or standing)
- The person in this position needs to move about inside office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer
- Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings
ABOUT OUR TRADE DIVISION:
For nearly two centuries, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Trade Publishing has published some of the worlds most renowned novels, nonfiction, childrens books, and reference works. As part of a leading global learning company, it is uniquely positioned to create educational and entertaining content for multiple channels and in various formats, from hardcovers and paperbacks to e-books and mobile apps. Its distinguished author list includes eight Nobel Prize winners, forty-seven Pulitzer Prize winners, thirteen National Book Award winners, and more than one hundred Caldecott, Newbery, Printz, and Sibert Medal and Honor recipients. HMH publishes such distinguished authors as Philip Roth, Temple Grandin, Tim O'Brien, and Umberto Eco, and a celebrated roster of childrens authors and illustrators including Lois Lowry, Chris Van Allsburg, and David Wiesner. HMH is also home to The Best American series; The American Heritage and Websters New World dictionaries; Betty Crocker, Better Homes and Gardens, How to Cook Everything, The Gourmet Cookbook, and other leading culinary properties; the Peterson Field Guides; CliffsNotes; books by J.R.R. Tolkien; and many iconic childrens books and characters, including Curious George, The Little Prince, and The Polar Express. For more information, visit (link removed).
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (NASDAQ:HMHC) is a global learning company dedicated to changing peoples lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. As a leading provider of pre-K12 education content, services, and cutting-edge technology solutions across a variety of media, HMH enables learning in a changing landscape. HMH is uniquely positioned to create engaging and effective educational content and experiences from early childhood to beyond the classroom. HMH serves more than 50 million students in over 150 countries worldwide, while its award-winning children's books, novels, non-fiction, and reference titles are enjoyed by readers throughout the world. For more information, visit (link removed)
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is an equal employment opportunity
or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Post ID: 56148567 boston